Other Things That Might Interest You...

October 2009


"Let the Wild Rumpus Start!"


Can you believe it's the end of October already?  I can't believe it's the end of October already.  This year is FLYING by...almost too fast.  I guess that's a good thing because 2009 has been a bad news year.  It's been a "thank God for Ten Happy Things" kind of year.  Speaking of Ten Happy Things, let's get to it...
 

10.  Okay, have you seen this?  Look: 



That's just about the best thing I've ever seen.  I like that there's Animal Cops and all that but this Rescue Ink thing has got to be the coolest thing ever.  I mean, it's one thing to send the cops over when you think an animal is in crisis somewhere.  Sending a troop of large, tattooed bikers over is another thing entirely.  How much are you shitting your pants when these guys show up?  They should have sent these dudes over to Michael Vick's house.  That's just awesome. 

9.  I'm going to preclude this by telling you that I am not a Broncos fan.  Really, I'm not.  I'm a Jets fan first, a Favre fan second, and a Bears fan third.  The Broncos are not in the line-up.  That being said, I gotta say that I LOVE how well Kyle Orton is doing on the Broncos.  For those of you who live life without football (the horror!), Kyle Orton is the quarterback for the Denver Broncos who used to be the quarterback for the Chicago Bears.  He's not the greatest quarterback in the league.  He's no Favre.  He's no Drew Brees.  He is, however, a winner.  When Orton played for the Bears, I thought he got a really bad rap.  He was a winner in Chicago.  He wasn't throwing 60-yard bombs down the field but he was a winner.....a winner with no offensive line.  The offensive line barely gave the man time to make a play, he still figured out ways to do it, had a winning record in the process, and all Chicago did was bash him.  It sucked.  Now, he's in Denver, he's just about the same level of quarterback that he was when he played in Chicago, he's got an offensive line, he's even more of a winner, and the fans friggin' love him.  I caught part of a Broncos game a couple of weeks ago and it was so great to see him smiling and enthusiastic and getting cheered for like mad by the fans.  Good for you, Kyle.  Good for you.

8.  Staying with football, I'm just going to lay this one out there.  Favre and the Vikings beat the Packers.  The Packers went to Minnesota and played Favre and Favre beat them and it was PHENOMENAL.  Favre played great and ran all around the field with joy like a kid.  I love Favre.  I don't care if he cries and retires and then unretires 80 million times.  I still love him.  I love him more when he beats the Packers.  The best part was the end of the game when both teams and coaches came out on the field for the handshake.  Favre and Donald Driver (who was Favre's go-to guy when he played for the Packers) did this hugging thing that was what I refer to as a Rudy moment.  A Rudy moment is any kind of sentimental, heart-tugging football moment.  If you haven't seen the movie Rudy, I'm not going to explain it to you.  I will, however, point and laugh.  I digress.  This Sunday, the Vikings play the Packers again, but this time it's at Green Bay.  Let me just tell you, if Favre goes back to Green Bay and beats the Pack in their own house, I might just die of glee poisoning. 

7.  If I could pick a favorite genre of movie, I would pick horror.  Within that genre, if I could pick a favorite type, I'd pick zombie movies.  I love zombie movies.  I'm into them in a big way.  Any kind of zombie movie.  I may not love it but I'll watch it at least once.  Earlier this month, I was treated to a whole new development in zombie movies.  Ladies and gentlemen....Zombieland.  Best.  Zombie movie.  Ever.  EVER!  Not only was it some good old-fashioned zombie gross out gore, it was HILARIOUS.  I don't normally like Woody Harrelson.  I don't have any specific complaint about the man...he just rubs me the wrong way.  He didn't in Zombieland.  He was awesome.  They were all awesome.  If you haven't seen it, I'll give you this bit of lure to draw you in:  Bill Murray fake zombie cameo...playing Ghostbusters.  That's all I'm gonna say.  See it.  Trust me, it's worth it.

6.  Keeping the movie train going, I have to say a few words about Where the Wild Things Are.  Best kids book ever?  Certainly in the top five.  When I heard last year that they were making a live-action version of the book, I wasn't happy.  I figured they'd make the monsters CGI and they'd look all CGI-ish and it would suck.  Then I saw the first preview...and they didn't look CGI-ish.  They looked perfect.  Hairy and shaggy and perfect.  They looked exactly how I imagined they'd look when I thought of it as a child.  Mind you, the movie overall, while being very good, was sadder than I thought it would be.  It didn't take any liberties that were far fetched.  It just layered on more meat because, frankly, the book isn't enough for a whole movie.  We all knew Max was raging and stomping...but we didn't know why.  The movie filled in the why and I think every person in the theater could relate in one way or another.  Nevertheless, it was a masterpiece.  The sticking point for me was the monsters....and they looked perfect and they sounded perfect.  HUGE kudos to James Gandolfini and Lauren Ambrose for voicing Carol and K.W.  James Gandolfini outdid himself.  He was exactly what Carol was supposed to sound like.  And honestly, they couldn't have found a better Max.  The kid looks just like Max in the book.  His name is even Max....Max Records.  Tell me that's not a rock star name!

I love those little moments when you get to see your childhood come to life.  Like pretty much everyone, I loved that book when I was a kid.  It doesn't happen often but every once in a while someone will put a little of my childhood imagination on the big screen and seeing it come to life is a really joyous escape.  :o)


5.  Halloween is upon us....which means It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown was on!  I watched it...again.  I laughed my ass off when Linus' hair went all batshit....again.  I cried at the end when Lucy goes out to the pumpkin patch in the middle of the night to get her brother...again.  Ahhhhh, good times.  :o)

4.  For all my fellow hard core Office fans, tell me this wasn't the best episode ever:


When you're done agreeing that the above was the best episode ever, tell me that this particular moment...


...didn't make all those years of watching The Office worth it.  Not that it wasn't worth it anyway because the show is awesome but that moment right there when Jim looks over Pam's head and grins at the camera like a man who finally got the girl of his dreams....tell me your heart didn't just melt.  The whole damn episode was filled with melter moments (like "I think even then I knew I was waiting for my wife" and Jim cutting his tie in half without even thinking about it) but that look on Jim's face was the killer one.  I'm getting choked up just writing about it.  Jeez.

3.  My favorite Josh went to Disney.  He got me these:


He was nice enough to bring back other stuff too....but the ears are the best.  I haven't had a set of mouse ears like these since I was a little sprog.  I rock the ears.

2.  To be honest, I'm not one of those chicks who takes complements gracefully.  Specifically, complements about appearance.  I usually feel all silly and I blush and then I'm all awkward about it.  Always appreciative and thankful...but I get that whole "awww, shucks" thing going on.  I know, I know.  I'm a mook.  Anyway...  As I mentioned last month (and as you can clearly see in the picture of me with the mouse ears just above), I cut off a ton of hair.  Ten inches of hair, to be exact.  I went from long red hair that fell to the middle of my back to a chin-length graduated bob (as in longer in the front than in the back).  With the exception of three people, reception of the drastically new hair has been good. It's been about a month or so since the big snip so pretty much everyone is used to it by now. Right, so, getting to the point...  I work with a fairly small group of people.  We're more like a really diverse little corporate family.  A few days ago, I was sitting at my desk doing my work thing, totally unaware that a coworker was in my doorway looking at the back of my head.  Out of the complete blue sky, he said "Hey, Mer?  You should keep your hair short like that.  It looks really good on you.  I really like it."  Caught me completely and totally off guard.  I turned and smiled broadly and hurled a very heart-felt thanks at the bloke.  Every single time I thought of that moment for the next several days, I smiled.  You know, it gave me that warm and happy feeling.  It was like verbal cocoa with marshmallows.  Many people have complimented my new doo.  I'm greatful for all of them...but that particular one stood out.  I don't really know why.   I don't know if it was the tone of sincerity or the out-of-the-blueness or what.  I just know that it made me smile for days, literally.  It washed any regrets I may have had about cutting my hair off.  It's good to know that there's some niceness left in the world.

1.  Let me begin by saying that I am no fan of Apple.  No fan at all.  Those damn "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" commercials drive me nuts.  Elitest bastards.  The government gets all over Bill Gates for being a monopoly when he's not but they don't say a damn word to Apple and they ARE a monopoly.  Anyway, in short, I'm no fan of Apple.  Nevertheless, after months of drooling and wanting and hating myself for drooling and wanting, I threw caution to the wind, drank the damn kool-aid, and bought an iPhone.  This phone is like crack cocaine.  I LOVE it.  It's the best phone EVER.  Mind you, I still loathe those commercials and I hate almost everything about the stupid iTunes program you have to use to sync your phone with your computer.  No matter.  I adore my phone.  It's my new boyfriend.  We're going steady.  We're picking out china patterns.  It's that serious.  And don't even get me started on the apps.  When they say "there's an app for that", they're not kidding.  There's an app for EVERYTHING.  I'm surprised they don't have an app that kills cancer.  My favorite so far?  The Cardstar app.  You know how every store in the universe has those little membership cards?  PetsMart Rewards, and Dominick's Freshcards, and United Mileage Plus, and all that crap?  You end up feeling like a walking card storage unit with all the damn membership cards.  Yeah, well, no more storing for me!  You put the barcode number into this Cardstar app and it stores the card for you.  When you're in the checkout lane, you pull up the store in the app and have the cashier scan the barcode on your phone's screen instead of giving them the little card.  Presto!  I've got 13 membership cards - including my library card and the membership card to my gym - all stored in this app on my phone.  WAAAAAY easier than digging through every corner of my wallet trying to find the appropriate membership car for whatever store I'm giving my money to at any given moment.  I also have a Lightsaber app.  It has no purpose other than to make the geek in me happy.  I love my iPhone.  Practicality and geek-ticality all in one!  :o)


All in all, a pretty good month.  It's had its down spots...but we're not here to talk about our down spots.  Happy thoughts, people.  Happy thoughts.  Today is Halloween and I got a huge kick out of the almost non-stop parade of little ones that came to my front door looking for sweets.  My birthday is in three days.  There's good football on tomorrow.  My brother is scheduled to come home from Iraq in a couple of weeks.  All good ways to start next month.  Until then, my pretties!



Hey!  Wait!  Holy cow!  I just noticed something.  October provided a whole list of Happy Things that in no way included golf or Sergio.  You're all reeling with shock aren't you?  Wow.  I'm reeling with shock.  I guess those weekly meetings at the Sergio Addicts' 12 step program are really paying off...  ;o)

No comments: