Other Things That Might Interest You...

August 2007


"Let's play slip the sorting hat on the Slytherin..."

The end of this dreadfully hot month is slowly creeping toward us so, as usual, it's time for Mer's Ten Happy Things in no particular order.

10.  The baseball thing.  You know the drill.  Both teams, first place.  Yadda, yadda, yadda.  Most enjoyable, however, was the Red Sox @ White Sox series over the weekend.  I had the fortunate pleasure to attend.  The whole series…every single game…was a testimony to why the slaughter rule should be instituted in Major League Baseball.  I've nothing against the Southsiders.  Nothing at all.  I won't even root against them unless they're playing the Red Sox (or the Mariners or the Orioles)…but this past weekend was not only one of the most dismal attempts at baseball I've ever seen (and keep in mind, I'm a Met fan), but an even more dismal display of fandom.  Red Sox fans seemingly outnumbered White Sox fans three to one at Comiskey (yes, I know that's not the name but I'm just not calling it US Cellular Field.).  The stadium, which is usually a sea of black, white, and gray, was an overflowing reservoir of red.  Talk about fair weather.  Win a World Series and the White Sox fans are everywhere…fall on hard times, and they're nowhere to be found.  Sad as it is, it was fuel for a lot of smiles and chuckles on my part this weekend. 

9.  Today is Monday.  Thursday morning, I leave for New York.  On the following Sunday morning at 11 am, I will be at the US Open.  THE US OPEN!  I am quivering with excitement.  The Open itself has already started, which means I've got loads of tennis at my fingertips.  Ooooooooer!

8.  It seems as if the heat has finally broken, thanks be to God.  We might have a few more sweltering days here and there but it seems as though the roughest part of summer is behind us.  Now all we have to do is wait for the heavenly scent of snow.

7.  I got through the recent band of storms relatively unscathed.  No tree damage, no house damage, no flooding, no soggy basement floor.  My pool overflowed as did my pond…but my yard was already such a swamp from the endless amounts of rain we've gotten lately, a little more water really didn't make much difference to the already swimming grass.

6.  I learned how to play Rummy this weekend.  It was great fun.  I love learning new games.  I don't know how I went so long without knowing this game.  It seems everyone knows it but me.

5.  Okay, this one is more of a funny thing than a happy thing, per say.  However, every time I think of it, I chuckle so I thought it was worth a mention.  I've been on Harry Potter overload lately.  I attended one of those crazy book release parties for Deathly Hallows.  I've seen the new movie twice, once in IMAX 3D (which I highly recommend).  After finishing the last book, I decided to read the whole series over from the beginning for sentiment's sake.  I'm on Order of the Phoenix now.  So, you know, with all that exposure, you could say I've got HP on the brain.  Anyway…and I won't go into detail…a little while back, I had this really, well, interesting dream about Alan Rickman.  For those of you who live in caves and don't know who I'm talking about, Alan Rickman is the actor who plays Severus Snape in the Harry Potter movies.  You've also seen him as the villain in Die Hard and Robin Hood along with a host of other films.  Anyway, I had this dream about him…but in the dream, he wasn't Alan Rickman.  He was Severus Snape.  So, yeah, okay, I'll admit it…….I had a crazy sex dream about Severus Snape who, in my dream, looked like Alan Rickman.  Sigh.  Yes, I know it's stupid.  Yes, I know I'm a freak.  You can't control your dreams.  It just happened…and I woke up feeling all weird about it.  ANYWAY…  Yesterday, I saw Order of the Phoenix for the second time.  I'm sitting there and the movie is wheeling along and I'm pleased as punch……and then Alan Rickman graces the screen.  I completely lost it.  I immediately turned a wonderful shade of magenta and was uncontrollably launched into a tremendous fit of giggles.  I'm such a loser.  But, in this case, it's rather funny.

4.  This one is for the fat and lazy person in all of us.  The grocery store near my house does this great cookie thing.  They make actual Toll House chocolate chip cookies and pack them in a box that you can buy and take home and enjoy without having to even think about sifting flour or finding your set of measuring spoons.  You just open the box, pour yourself a glass of milk, and go.  No ungreased cookie sheets.  No vanilla.  No preheating.  Nothing but Toll House goodness in your mouth.  Yeah.  I know.  Fucking great.

3.  School has started in my neighborhood.  This means that the weeknight escapades of the idiot kids that live next door to me, behind me, and down the block from me have ceased.  They're all back in school and suffering with homework and getting up early so they're not outside making a damn racket at all hours of the night.  I know this makes me sound like an old fussy britches but I really am glad of it.  They'd make the worst levels of noise and then drive my dog insane, which would result in even more noise thanks to his barking.  Now I can spend the evenings in peace without screaming, yelling, hooting, hollering, bad band rehearsing, splashing, and barking hampering my peace and quiet.

2.  Friday night after the baseball game, I was introduced to a wonderful libation called Patron XO CafĂ©.  Holy fucking hell.  It's this coffee flavored tequila and it's heaven.  It's very smooth and very light and tastes like a light coffee liquor with a hint of chocolate to it….but it hits you like a fantastic tequila.  I did several shots of the stuff.  It is seriously out of this world.  And, after several shots, so was I. 

1.  I've been taking a well deserved break from drama….and it's been great.  You just kind of get to the point where you don't want to deal with it anymore so you distance yourself and revel in the peace that distance brings.  That's where I am right now.  And, like I said, it's been great.  If you have the means, I strongly suggest giving it a try.  It's lovely.

There you have it.  August's Ten Happy Things.  I'm telling you right now, I don't want any guff about that Snape thing.  I'm serious.  I feel enough like an ass already.   Now, off with you…

No comments: